Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mansions of Madness March!


I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness...

H.P. Lovecraft

"From Beyond"

It's time for another month painting challenge!

Mansions of Madness is a recently released board game by Fantasy Flight for 2-5 players that is set in the Lovecraft mythos of the early 1900's. If you are unfamiliar with it and interested in learning about it, I recommend checking out the HP Podcraft podcast for a crash course.

The new game pulls characters, setting, and art from the the Arkham Horror game, however the game mechanics are very different. It is more heavily skewed towards a narrative flow, and splits most of the players as investigators against one keeper player. The investigators work together to solve the mystery of the mansion and ultimately how to stop the keeper. Meanwhile, the keeper gets to toy with the investigators through dangerous monsters, inciting madness, and playing mind games.



Included are 32 miniatures, just waiting to be painted! Boardgamers might not be as used to the idea of painting set pieces, making them likely to leave them in their grey plastic form. In my opinion, you should paint(or get someone to paint) these wonderful miniatures as soon as possible to get the most out of an already amazing atmosphere. The longer you wait the more likely you are to never get around to painting the set!

Now that my box has arrived there is no time to lose! I hope to debut this game in a month for a certain Lovecraft-themed birthday bash, and I will be showing progress shots as I go. I encourage anyone who is interested to pick their own paint challenge and paint along with me for this month! Feel free to post pictures of your own.

So as you might surmise, this is going to be a very Lovecraftian month for my postings. I hope they'll be enjoyable.

1 comment: